Followers

Sunday, February 9, 2020

Six Months With Cerberus by Naomi Lucas





Sweet Mother of Mythology!
(and conflicted reviewers..)


For those of you out there who never found yourself tail deep in a variety of mythological drama,
Hey hun.
How are ya.



This book is one of those concepts where I genuinely could have cared less who the author was, what the cover looked like, or how much it cost. 
PURELY BECAUSE IT MENTIONS THE UNDERWORLD, HADES AND PERSEPHONE. 



LORD, I am a strait up Hooker for anything and everything Hades and Persephone.
At this point in my life I will pretty much consume any story that has any type of connection to mythology at all. 
I feel like I've read so many that I'm starting to forget how tragic, nasty, and drama-infested the original myths are....
Anyways...I'm waffling on. 
Onward to the story!


Now, I won't mislead you. 
In this book, the focus of the story is Cyane and Cerberus, with Hades and Persephone as somewhat smaller contributors to the main scheme of things.

The main character Cyane has been alone her entire life, waiting for the day to finally answer the note left by her supposed 'father' for her, and to travel to meet him in Sicily during the celebration of Thesmophoria.
 Thesmophoria: the celebration of Goddess' Demeter and Persephone, and the return of Persephone to the underworld.

Cerberus, the gate guard to the land of the dead, was gifted a human body from Hades and is still as dog-gone tough, scary and intimidating as ever.
Through la-di-da's and doo-de-doo's that ensue, Cyane finds herself in the underworld, and at the will of the Gods therein. Including Cerberus, who has taken an instant fascination to the living mortal.

This trip, well....is just that...
A Trip.


and fall...at least for myself.


I'm kind of in this momentary state where words of many sorts and colors are coming to mind to describe this book. 
Some good, some bad, some steamy.
All double breaded and deep fried in confusion.


The concept of the book was incredibly intriguing, and felt new considering the vast amount of stories 'based on' the Grecian myths. 

The writing was well done, the story woven into a realistic fantasy of what interactions between Gods and Goddess' of myth in dealing with a mortal.

Yet....here my confused and conflicted ass sits...conflictedly.

There were moments where I was confused. 
Like SERIOUSLY confused. 
And trust me, teaching first grade, you are confused a majority of your day. 
There were moments that felt disjointed, like you were here, NOW your there! kind of teleporting action if that makes sense. I found myself going back multiple times just to try and understand exactly where we are now, and what the heck is happening.

One of my bigger points of contention: Cerberus. 
 I Was SOOOO down for that. 
But for some hookey-pokey reason, some of his actions in the story left me feeling somewhat....cold towards him.
 I'm not sure what exactly it was he was doing and thinking that made me feel that way, but I just never really got the 'love' or 'lovingly' or 'whateverthefluck' feeling from him. 
Which totally bites....
I think it was so interesting the interactions between what was once this great beast of legend, and confronting a Human Mortal and feelings he has never felt before. 
But still, SOMETHING MUST BE WRONG WITH ME, because I just felt like something was missing. I wanted more. More of the building between Cyane and Cerberus.
More of the conflict.
More of the emotions and feelings.
...More. Period.

And don't even get me started on Hades...… (FANTASY BOYFRIEND FOR LIFE). I think it was my least favorite portrayal of Hades I've read...IDK my head hurts, my heart burns and I'm lost in my feelings.

This review has been a pain in my booty to try and write.
 I think it's because of my discombobulated feelings I have, post-reading this book. 
I was caught between not being able to put the dang thing down, and not really knowing WTF was going on. 
Naomi Lucas has some serious freakin' talent, and homegirl can write a romance to blow your damn socks off. 
Which made me sad that my socks remained in place for this one. 
Harumph.

Was this my favorite? It hurts my heart to say, but, Not Really.
Was it a solid read that I think delivers some time burning entertainment? Oh most definitely.
Was there twists and turns, adventure, and STEAM? YES, YES, MF'in YES boo.


And yet...I feel like I just needed something more....
Maybe it's a "me, not you" thing, or I am officially needing to start packing my things to head on over to the looney bin. 
'Cause I think I'm going nuts.

Oh wait...


<b>All in all:</b> the book was good, it was in no way shape or form bad, I'm just left feeling like I either missed something or something was missing.

Will I gladly buy any more books with influences of the Mythological sort?

3.0 Hades-&-Persephone-FO'-EVA stars🌟

Want more of my reviews of the bizarre, strange, and the steamy? Check me out at:

No comments:

Post a Comment