Followers

Monday, February 17, 2020

Sworn to the Shadow God by Ruby Dixon


51012381. sy475
I have come to an overwhelming decision in my life....


The reason that Ruby Dixon is able to write such enthralling, steamy, "eat some leftovers cause I'm staying in tonight" books about Gods.....
Is because.....She is in fact....


 REAL TALK

I just happened to be browsing on my kindle when suddenly BOOM, this bad boy immediately pops on my screen.

Like Hi, Hello, How are ya? Were you doing anything today?
PSYCH NOW YOUR NOT BISH.
AND ON VALENTINES DAY NO LESS!

For those who haven't read the first book in the Aspect and Anchor series,
Go.
Embrace.
Enjoy.
Make sure you don't have any important events coming up CAUSE HONEY.
These books become your daily events.

I have been Dieing (LOL) for Rhagos' book for what feels like a gah damn eternity now.

and suddenly...
I have it.

And its just as GAH DAMN fantastic as I was hoping it would be.


Max: She's the average joe gal: glasses, awkward, hates her boss, works a job where the Dick Penis DingDong rules the roost. You get it.
(side Bonus: She doesn't have immaculate breastesses. IBTC for the win! Rep us girl!)
 Anyways, how does Max end up in the next anticipation?
Well, fate.....for minimal spoilers sake. Fate. 

She's awkward, horrifyingly optimistic, and faces so many difficult decisions, and yet always stays true to her. She chooses others happiness and health over her own (even when she damn well shouldn't), which in some stories can be a real drag.
'Oh she chose them, she's so selfless, ohhh look at her in all her selflessness...' BLEH.
But, Max is selfless without the worship. She gives and cares for others because she genuinely cares about them. I seriously liked her. 

This is now two solid female characters that feel like what any of us (women who dream of being transported into a chaotic dream world to partner with the love of our lives) would probably face, and give realistic reactions and responses (AKA. Non-Insta-Katniss-Everdeen). BonusBonus: she's funny. Not like a HAHAHAHAHA funny, but more like a 'unattractive snort to yourself' kind of funny.
Quotes:
<i>"Their faces are dirty, their clothing rough, and one of the men leering at me has like, three teeth. If someone picks up a banjo and starts playing the Deliverence theme, I'm out of here."

"I am the Goddess of Knowledge. You think there is anything i don't know?"
"Do you know what this means?" I snap, flipping her the bird.</i>
Seriously. Max was a delight.

<b> Rhagos</b>: BISH. biiiiiiiiishhhh. Rhagos is so friggin' book boyfriend material that, as we speak, I am immediately making changes to said list now. As the God of Death he has lived a lonely existence, and longs for the bond connection he has seen another God (book one in the series coughcough go read it coughcough ) have with his anchor. 

BONUS: he's the God of Death which totally reminds me of Hades (who is myth boytoy #1) so this automatically means I love him. I don't make the rules here, it's just logic.
He's tricky, powerful, but above all else, he just wants someone to talk to. To care for him. Someone who doesn't fear him and wants to be by his side for all eternity. 


Through fate  (COUGHEMMGHHFLLEE) Max and Rhages are paired for the next anticipation, and go through trials unlike we saw in the first book.
And....
well...

Im floundering...because at this point it is nearly impossible to tell you much more about the book without giving away spoilers, key plot points, or any GD SPOILERS.

This world is so fantastically magical, and in a way we haven't seen done a million times over. The Gods are cruel, the world is unforgiving of the weak, and to watch the main pair struggle through this is truly something to delight/throw your money at. 

And did I mention, THERES A MAP AT THE BEGINNING OF THE DAMN BOOK?
Cause I'll say it once, I'll say it twice, I love me a damn book map.
(particularly when I'm confused exactly where we are, and also for times when I just want to explore the overall landscape we've been transported to.)

And when I say we get transported to the world, I mean it.
Now, Ruby Dixon is not just a God simply because of the imaginative, beautiful and entertaining story that she has created here.


Sit down students, class is in session


Sworn to the Shadow God is 645 pages.
Bound to the Battle God was 666 pages.
They were written, published and delivered to our greedy paws 9 months apart.


We all know what it's like to have to sit and wait what feels like eons for a new book in a series we love, and must find other ways to pass the time, BUT WAIT THERES MORE!

But between those 9 months of lonely waiting for our God of Death, Ruby Dixon published 8 other books (yes some of which are novellas but a BOOK is a GD book homie).
 8
other
books. 

That's essentially a book a month while we're waiting.

This gal y'all. Not only can she write such an incredibly fantastic tale of adventure, love, loss and dedication, BUT she can also put out 8 other dang good books to bide some dang time and keep our greedy little hearts happy.

I know authors always have things waiting on the back burner, and have multiple things going at once, but honestly you'd never know it reading this book. You'd swear she went on sabbatical for a month to focus all her time on this beautiful puppy.

 In a cruel world of 'sorry my next book will be out in the next year, two years or hell it may never actually come out, but I'll keep you in a perpetual state of waiting'
Ruby Dixon,
 

Which I more than believe puts Ruby Dixon on the true throne of author Godhood.
She is truly the Goddess of sci-fi, adventure, steamy reads.

And Good Giddy Aunt I will recommend this book to anyone who wants to get lost in a world that you'll beg to be returned to when you've finished the final page.
5 give-me-Death-give-me-war-Gods-Damn-It-Give-Me-MORE! stars 🌟

No comments:

Post a Comment